Thursday 13 October 2011

Print process

Publicising my font and my view on typography will become my range. The font itself is the product. A small booklet, detailing the key elements of the font and the idea behind it will be produced and sold at the Manchester Book Fair. Other deliverables will also be produced at a later stage in this brief.

Initially, I was keen on printing onto typically associated 'craft' paper such as newsprint or sugar paper, as this would appear more handmade. I also wanted to print in 2 colour, one being black, the other being the brightest, clearest I could physically print. Screen printing would be ideal for this as it would encompass both elements and I could use almost luminous inks and actually hand print each booklet. However this takes away from the digital font and becomes a communication of craft. When experimenting in digital print, it was clear that the letterforms are massively more legibly and vibrant on the white printing paper, over the sugar paper. By choosing colour as a primary concern over stock, the font will be best represented and the detail of each letterform will not be distracted by the texture of the stock.



No comments:

Post a Comment