Monday 10 October 2011

Helv typeface

By using the same technique as Collab and half shading, half block colour for each letterform, all of the upper and lowercase letterforms for my 'Helvetica has no soul' typeface have been hand-drawn. By adding serifs and extra detail, the typeface gains more personality and can communicate differently. (I am calling my typeface 'Helvetica has no soul' or 'Helv' at the current moment as I have not decided upon a suitable name.)

Through the application of rules to each letterform, they should sit well together as a set and as words. Each letter is created from the outline of the Helvetica equivalent. The inked letterforms are the ones to be used to create the font and the penciled versions are my development process.







2 comments:

  1. i looove this.. just sat out in the cold because I'm locked out so looking around.. really like the experimentation on typeface from using helvetica.. and I think it really works.. are you going to look at italics and bold..?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh thanks Nat! I am trying to wrap this brief up to the end of this week as I have spent far too much time on it! However, if I have any time before submission I would like to create an italic and bold version. I think I could make the italics easily in Fontographer, but i'm unsure about the bold!

    ReplyDelete