Friday 29 October 2010

Press it

From a chat with Lorenzo I was inspired b the thought of embossing the bread to make some parts closer to the heat. This means I could control to what degree a certain part of the bread would get toasted and so the depth of colour. I experimented with basic ways of doing this in a thick motion and a thin motion to see if it works with both ways or there would need to be a certain thickness of line.


























Thick. 
Only appropriate to say 'I love toast' on my first attempt eh!? I think this works quite well and was really happy with the result as it was such a quick experiment. I think the depth the bread has been pushed really emphasises the type due to the contrast made from the burnt and unburnt.


























Thin. 
I used a knife to create a thin line of indentation on the bread. I didn't think this would work as bread is quite spongy, I wondered if it would just mould back to the initial shape and fill in the wholes. To my pleasant surprise, even the thin lines came out clear! They could be more refined however.

I would really like to use this method as it bought something special to be toasting process and made an image out of nothing. I tried to think of ways to improve the line quality and thought about stamps...

No comments:

Post a Comment