Monday 10 May 2010

Speaking from experience - Week 4

10.05.10 - Never use white type on a black background
Over the weekend I dug out a book I got given when I left my last job to come to uni "Never use White Type on a Black Background and 50 other Ridiculous Design Rules". It is full of loads of stupid and funny graphic design rules, which creatives in the industry will find amusing. This book will help me with my design ideas and act as a bit of a starting point.

Never Use White Type on a Black Background and 50 other Ridiculous Design Rules. 















The book and my crit on Friday have given me the inspiration to take a different approach to the design and this has influenced the choice of product. Previously I was set on producing a range of stickers and having everything looking really similar with a set design style. However now this has all changed! Today I have been sketching out more ideas and expanding upon the feedback from the crit on Friday. Now I am thinking up ideas on how to demonstrate the rules visually. I intend to make 13 products in total. Each rule will have a corresponding product which will reflect the content and be placed in an appropriate location, making 12 in total. The 13th product will be something which can be distributed amongst the new first year students (either by mail or electronically) and will contain the rules and photographs of the products. The products alone may not make sense at first but will once teamed with the information (mailed or digitally distributed) it will.

Starting point sketches of ideas generated form Fridays crit with John.



















11.05.10 - 12 become 10
After my initial sketches yesterday and some idea development I think 2 of my rules are pretty weak in comparison to the others. I will be removing #9. Don't eat the cakes at the tea party and #12. 4pm is not home time. I am unsure if there will be a tea party next year and do not want to scare them by saying they must stay after 4 all the time. I think my range would work best if I have 10 really strong products bought together in some way rather than using extra rules for the sake of it.

I have been creating mock-ups/digitalising all my ideas today with the intention on beginning the design the products properly over Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sunday, all ready for the final crit on Monday morning.

Digitalised ideas printed off for skecthbook.











13.05.10 - 4 day headache
From Thursday through to Sunday I have been designing... Here are the deisgns from start to finish. I really wish I had of started this earlier, but am really happy with my ideas fr each product and it has all come together since last Thursday.

Rule #01. Fred Time
Location of product.

Initial designs working with Rolex and military font. 


















Rule #02. There is never enough print credit.
Location of product.

Variety of designs for sticker to be placed over balance window on Mac screen.











Rule #03. Don't pull your face at Amber.
Location of product.














Hand draw illustrations, traced and coloured in Illustrator.












Mockup of stickers in location.













Rule #04. A break is not a holiday
Variety of designs. Concertina book of photographs from the studio. 











Design of concertina photographs of my holiday in the studio. 


































Rule #05. Type is sexy
Location of product.













Selected designs to choose final from using Malika Favres typeface.





















Rule #06. Posters don't always work.
Location of product.












Typeface development for poster design.













Rule #07. There is never time for time management.

Designs. Measured typeface of original and selected different possible typefaces to compare. 







Rule #08. 9:30 means 9:15.
Location of product. 
















Range of designs for selection of final. 


















Rule #09. Haribos make Freds world go round.
Haribo logo edit to incorporate 'Fred'.

Initial net design.

















Rule #10. Green and orange make Amber see red.
Location of this product would be anything green from the walk from reception to and into the studio.

Initial designs for orange and green.

















16.05.10 - Grazed eye
Well its been a hectic few days of designing and about 10 days of mad thinking... finally all the designs are final and ready to go to the final crit. I always expect some issues to be raised in crits and I like to see the flaws come to light, but not this time. I am really happy with the way everything has gone with this brief and even though I was not as convinced by some of Johns tips, I have built upong alot of what was said and as a result I believe the project is much more appealling, humerous and effective!

No comments:

Post a Comment