Friday 7 May 2010

Speaking from experience - Week 3

04.05.10 - Why use 30 when 12 will do?
Looking over my feedback from the crit on Friday, I felt I should tackle the language and appropriateness of the unwritten rules. I wrote them out and developed them by re-writing them in different orders and sentance structure to find the one which best suited my concept. Such as...

Rule #16. Posters aren't the answer to everything
Graphic design is not just designing posters - Posters are not the be all and end all - Posters. Do they work? Discuss. - Posters will not change the world - Posters don't always work.

In this example I thought that 'posters don't always work' as it seems more informative and may be the truest statement. 'Graphic design is not just designing posters' doesn't sound quite right and 'Posters. Do they work. Discuss.' is a bit vague and does not indicate that they are not everything.

From these rewritten unwritten rules (tongue twister!) I was then able to select the most appropriate ones. I believe I should get rid of any rules which are offensive, derogatory or simply will not make sense to any one outside my year group. Also I did not want to overwhelm the new students with a long list of jokes thy do not understand. I think a more compacted list of the best rules would be more suitable and less daunting. Some which have been eliminated are 'never draw a penis', 'lonely drinks cans magically grow faces', 'blue biros are illegal' and 'snakes can eat people'. My finalised list of unwritten rules is...
  1. Fred time
  2. There is never enough print credit
  3. Don't pull your face at Amber
  4. A break is not a holiday
  5. Type is sexy
  6. Posters don't always work
  7. There is never time for time management
  8. 9:30 means 9:15
  9. Don't eat the cakes at the tea party
  10. Haribos make the (Freds) world go round
  11. Green and orange make Amber see red
  12. 4pm is not home time
I hope these rules seem funny and informative to the new students and not too serious. They will get to understand these rules as the course progresses and hopefully my products will have a long life. 

06.05.10 - S**t hot
As I intend to design and produce stickers which will be placed in appropriate locations for each rule I began looking into different materials and paper which I could use. Transparent stock seems like a brilliant medium to use. The rule can be read clearly but also shows the context behind it. Before I started looking into design and placement of the stickers and other products I researched whether I could use a transparent stock!

The digital dungeon has loads of stock and James had some transparent stock which could be laser printed on. He also had some which is sticky on one side. The unsticky stock has a blue tinge to it, however when held against a light colour background, this isn't visable. In reply to my question of "How good is the print quality on this stock" his reply was "s**t hot". I can't really argue with that now can I? 

Transparent stock demonstrating the blue tinge when viewed infront of a dark object, and completely clear when against white.




















Since finding some cool transparent stock I could use I created some mock-ups of my proposed idea. I find it really hard to explain things and describe anything so I find it easier to visualise my ideas. These mockups are very basic and the type is very basic. My final piece will not be based on this design but the stock and placement should be pretty similar in looks. 

Mockup of transparent stickers in use.






















07.05.10 - Concept, context and method of delivery
For this Fridays crit I made 3 boards to help explain what I was doing, where I was going and why. I fund the feedback quite conflicting with my ideas and had some issues raised which I need to address. Such as is it funny enough and is purely type the best way to approach this brief. Another thought is whether or not to introduce colour. I am quite keen to keep my designs monochrome for the moment with the possibility of adding colour at a later stange once the design is completed. All of these issues and my response is posted on my PPD. These are the boards I produced and feel that these were more effective than the one I made for the last crit as they contined more relevant information.

Design direction boards shown at Fridays crit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment