Wednesday 7 October 2009

OUGD104 - A Visual Vocabulary (06.10.09)

On Tuesday with Amber we again had to represent words in a frame, however this time we had to use 4 frames in a line to represent the word. We still had the same restrictions, we were supplied with 4 typefaces (Times New Roman, Gill Sans / Ultra Bold, Futura and Helvetica) with the letterform "A" in large and small sizes. The words we had to demonstrate were edit, jumble, hybrid, extend and deconstruct.

Once we had shown these in the frames, we then had to think about how to represent the words in just one frame. I had to think about whether to keep the process the same or to change my idea of how I was representing the words as some wouldn't work the same. The group swapped seats and we had to figure out which frames meant which word. Whoever got mine got them all correct, meaning that I represented the words clearly, that they could be identified.

EDIT
I "edited" one letter in the sequence and repeated this across the 4 frames to demonstrate the word. In the 1 frame, I showed this process twice, as not to get confused with hybrid.

JUMBLE
I used the 4 frames as 1 to demonstrate a flow of jumble using all the typefaces and different sizes. For the one frame I compressed all these into a pile of jumble.

HYBRID
For the 4 frames, I mashed together 2 very different typefaces (Gill Sans / Ultra Bold and Futura) and showed the process of this. For the 1 frame I created a "A" from all the different typefaces as I though if I just repeated frame 4 it may represent jumble.
EXTEND
I extended a line of "A"s for the 4 frames and attempted to do the same within the 1 frame.
DECONSTRUCT
In the 4 frames, I showed the deconstruction of the letter "A" made from different typefaces. For the 1 frame I attempted to show an already deconstructed letter "A" although I only used one typeface, as though not to distract from my meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment