Thursday 5 November 2009

OUGD101 No News Is Good News (Poster)


This week long brief was to produce 3 posters communicating a fact from our previous article. We can only use 2 colours plus stock and the format was 2:1. The first poster was to be purely image, the second pure text and the third a mixture of both.

MONDAY 02.11.09
We had a tricky task to do before we knew what the brief was... I had to write down 10 adjectives and 10 verbs, then also draw 10 objects and 10 symbols which related to my article. It was really difficult! I am poor at english/words and poor at drawing!


I then had about an hour to come up with some designs for my poster, using the stuff from the previous task to help. This is when I changed my fact as it was previously "Pavlopetri is the oldest sunken city". I found this translated badly onto a poster format and so changed it to "Less than 1% of the worlds oceans floor have ever been surveyed". I find this quite an alarming and shocking fact, this is also a direct quote from my article. I quite like my initial ideas but they definitely need some development.

WEDNESDAY 04.11.09
Over Monday and Tuesday evening I had begun to design my poster. My first dilemma was how would I create them, as I am rubbish at drawing and (thus I don't enjoy it) and I couldn't take any photographs for this as my fact was about the deep sea... Problem - I don't have an underwater camera and Leeds has no deep sea. I decided to use Illustrator as I could draw simple pictures and make them have a cartoon feel to them, which might work quite well with limited colour. Also my posters would be made of vectors and therefore could be enlarged, shrunk without any loss of quality. The colours I decided to use are black and a nice sea blue, my stock would be white. The blue would represent the sea and be used as a visual aid to show the contrast between land and sea in the image poster.

These three posters inspired my designs (Happy Workforce by Nishant Choksi, Hidden Depths of Racism by Frazer Hudson and Two States by Dettmer Otto).

I sketched out a firmer idea and also some potential characters for my posters. They look quite childish and so when I drew them on Illustrator I made some tweaks to the fish and only used that one, so it didn't look like an advertisement for kids.

THURSDAY 05.11.09
In this morning studio time I tried to finalise my designs as much as possible as I am booked to print at 10am Friday morning. I thought more about frame this morning and how things would work best depending on the positioning, I though back to the Visual Language Classes we had with Amber and thought about how I could present "small". I decided to try and make the >1% (less than one percent) a large part of my type design and decided to make it exceed to frame to hopefully suggest that everything else was smaller than it. On the image and type mixed poster this would also help make my small fish look even smaller! It also looks quite overpowering which is cool as it really pushes the message forward to the audience I think.

=======================
FURTHER DEVELOPMENT

After the final crit for this piece I realised I ad made some mistakes and a few ammendments needed to be made for these posters to work. For one, I had used the wrong symbol for "less than" and some others didn't understand what I was trying to communicate.

Here are my final posters...

No comments:

Post a Comment